"Yes, Chef!"

I have learned while in the kitchen that complete trust in your superior chef is crucial. The term "Yes Chef" is loosely used, but the reality is, listening is complete submission to the orders of the chef regardless of the consequences. The chef is only human, but trusting your chef is of key importance to unity in the kitchen, and ultimately success in the restaurant.

In this day and age, I find that young aspiring chefs tend to be rather prideful. Perhaps this is a lack of maturity, or respect for the fundamentals of being a chef, but many of them act as though they know everything. When I am working on the line, I have to curb any pride, and completely surrender to the chef in charge. This isn't as hard as one might think, because my creativity isn't squelched. As a matter of fact, my input is excepted and often asked for. It actually seems that my input has been more appreciated at Bouchon than at any other restaurant I have worked for in the past. Not only do they treat their guests with the highest respect, but they treat their employees the same. There doesn't seem to be as much of a "power trip" complex among the chefs. Perhaps this is because these chefs come to work everyday for the love of food, and not in pursuit of money alone.

I think it is important in any career to push yourself out of your comfort zone and try to work for someone that has proven to be one of the "greats." This person should also be someone you personally admire for their unique abilities. Working with someone you respect will allow you to look past the small annoyances and glean from the great things they have achieved. You notice the big picture, and move away from the negative. You work harder, and enjoy doing so. For me, listening to the chef, is just a part of my growth and my journey.
SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment