From The Bottom

I had heard from my colleagues about a book called "Letters To A Young Chef." The book is written by a renown chef by the name of Daniel Boulud. The book, in a nutshell, gives practical and necessary details and instructions to pursuing a career in the culinary industry. Basically, to break it down, it is the french fairy-tale of a culinarians journey to success in the industry.

One piece of advice that became important for me, was moving away from mediocrity and diligently pursuing excellence. This wasn't only about my work ethic, but rather, who I was working with. I decided to begin a journey to work with the most renown chefs in the world, and learn as much as I could about french cuisine.

My journey is not one of a chef that has already achieved greatness, but rather, a chef who is in the pursuit of achieving greatness. When I was attending the first orientation at Bouchon Beverly Hills, a part of Thomas' (Thomas Keller) speech had to do with the idea of perfection. He said: "There is no such thing as perfection in a chef's eyes when it comes to the execution or creation of a dish. Once you think its perfect, you realize there are a hundred different ways to reconstruct it or make it better. Its the pursuit of perfection that helps you refine the fundamentals."

I thought it would be interesting to share my journey with you, and bring you along for the ride. This perspective is not often looked at, but I write to you with great optimism that these letters will be an inspiration to never settle, and always pursue excellence.
SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment