"Mise en place"

I never really knew what a clean kitchen looked like until I began working at Bouchon. Thomas Keller runs all his kitchens to a very high standard, which is one of the many reasons why I think his restaurants run smoothly and his business is so successful. When Thomas was opening Bouchon in Beverly Hills, and it was under construction, he asked a worker to sweep the insides of the walls before the dry wall was placed. He was looked at like he was crazy, but it is this exact level of cleanliness that sets him above the rest. It has become more and more clear to me as I work for him, that his business is run by the standard of excellence. As I observe this on a daily basis, I try to incorporate these standards at my second job. As a matter of fact, the first couple weeks I worked at Bouchon I mimicked the level of cleanliness and organization that I learned at Bouchon at my second job. I came in the next day to find all my hard work completely destroyed, and un-appreciated. The juxtaposition between my two jobs is what I find the most interesting. Bouchon was my big opportunity, learning experience, and resume booster. The hotel was my predictable paycheck. In this season of my life, I am required to work at both places to survive. I will say, however, that the contrast between both jobs helps me discern how I hope to run my future restaurant.

Back to cleanliness.. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance in the kitchen. The french term "mise en place" literally translates: "everything in its place". This phrase is commonly used in the kitchen when referring to how a station should be set for service. The level of cleanliness and organization that is required during service should echo throughout the entire establishment. In my opinion, every chef in the kitchen should take personal pride in achieving these organizational standards when executing his/her own personal responsibilities. This level of teamwork makes for a more clean, organized, and smooth running kitchen.The standards that chef's work off of is imperative to the overall success of the restaurant. Having an organized and structured kitchen is necessary in order to operate in a professional environment.

At Bouchon, they challenge me to put thought into every action I take. For instance, when I am setting up for service do I think two steps ahead of myself in every action, or am I just thinking in the moment? Is this hollandaise better in a foam gun, squeeze bottle, or in a container? How will that look on the plate? Am I constantly checking to my left and right to make sure my station is setting the standard to those around me?

Now that I have been exposed to these standards, gone are the days that I miss a spot on the counter or a tissue on the floor. Although I have much to learn, I can confidently say I have embraced the standards that I have been taught.

SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment