Presentation

To a young culinarian, this term will usually be defined by the method in which a dish is assembled and viewed by the consumer. I shared this perspective during my "green years" in the kitchen as a young cook. Every day I watched the more experienced cooks serve the dishes that I prepped, it continued to sink in. I really thought presentation was just that. The definition began to grow as I gained experience with different kitchen personalities.


A chef that I worked with a few years back was hell bent on how his sauces needed to be perfect, but never payed attention to the way a server struggled carrying plates to the table. A chef told me once: "So what if your plate is perfect. If it can't be presented to the guest in the intended manner, you've wasted your time." Another chef I worked with was known for leaving his mess after preparing a special for evening service. Of course, I would end up cleaning it, because it would usually spill into my section for some reason (just my luck). In my opinion, the presentation of a work space in any kitchen/dining room is a small representation of how that restaurant works as a whole.


This brings me to to my current perspective of the term. Presentation is any form of the guests experience as he or she dines at an establishment. Hygiene, work apparel, attitude, cleanliness, seating arrangements, food, bottle service, table arrangements, and the list goes on and on. I'm not putting my self on a pedestal, but I feel that the young chef's of our day need to take a few steps back, and study the building blocks of a Michelin rated restaurant. Think outside the plate!
SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment