Raising The Bar

I would love to say that this topic is a daily practice for me, but that would be a blatant lie. The term "raising the bar," in my definition is turning the unrealistic into reality. In other words, if you're constantly in the pursuit of raising the standard, normal tasks become effortless and second nature. By default, you then raise the standard. This view helps me stay in reality rather than romanticizing about the should of, could of, would of. To be frank, I've never been the the type to enjoy challenging myself day-in and day-out, but I have realized that no on will push you to succeed except yourself. I don't want to sound defeated with the subject at hand, but the fact of the matter is, even if you're the best of the best, you're always going to struggle with self-improvement.


A friend and I were chatting about food the other day, and I started to talk about the famous "Poule Roti "(Roasted Chicken) that we serve at Bouchon. As I described the procedure to my friend, I began to realize how many steps were involved in order to produce this renowned product. My mind went a thousand miles a minute, trying to wrap my head around how many mistakes it took to end up with something so great. It's as if Thomas Keller knew the chickens' full potential before each attempt. To most people, mistakes are a deterrent, or a form of defeat. To him, they were a necessary stepping stone that had to take place in order to end up with something worth all the effort. I know that most chefs could roughly fabricate, truss, and season a chicken, throw it in the oven and call it roasted chicken, but this isn't just any chicken. You could say that its "THE" chicken.
-If you want to learn the process, buy the Bouchon book HERE-.


After having my epiphany, I began to realize that raising the bar isn't a monumental step that needs to be taken everyday, but more of a "steady as she goes" mentality. Every small improvement will amount to a huge result eventually. I know that this is cliche, but Rome wasn't built in day, nor was TK's "Poulet Roti."
SHARE
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment