Friday, June 3, 2011

It's June already and time for salads!

The wonderful thing about summer is that it gives me an opportunity to eat a lot more raw foods.  Many of my clients have also requested salads for the summer, and while it cuts back nicely on the time I spend in the kitchen, I also have to be more creative to keep the juices, and subsequently, the money flowing too.  I love the addition of nuts and seeds, marinated tofu, cooked grains, edamame and fresh herbs to my salads.  I love finding neat dressings that are low fat or fat free or even just clean to top the salads with.

Salad dressed up with edamame and pumpkin seeds.
Ingredients:  baby spinach, Oriental salad greens mix, broccoli sprouts, grape tomatoes, thawed frozen edamame, pumpkin seeds... topped with a beautiful Creamy Green Avocado Dressing from the Engine 2 cookbook.  Printed with permission from Rip Esselstyn himself.  1/4 pkg Silken Lite tofu, 1 avocado, juice of 1 lime.


Quinoa salad over greens with tomatoes and basil.
Sorry for the blurry image, it was taken with my cell phone as I couldn't find my camera.
Ingredients: mixed greens (baby spinach, baby romaine, arugula, raddichio, etc.), Quinoa salad http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quinoa_and_chickpea_salad_with_tomato_vinaigrette.php (in which I omitted the green beans as I didn't have any) with grape tomatoes and fresh basil leaves to garnish.

Berries and greens with creamy orange dressing
Ingredients: mixed salad greens, strawberries, blueberries, sliced almonds, golden flax seeds, dried cranberries topped with creamy dressing made with 2 oranges, 1/2 cup cashews blended in Vitamix.

With the warmer temperatures also comes fresh fruit.  While I prefer to buy locally grown fruits and vegetables whenever possible, I couldn't resist buying up some USA grown berries the other day so that I could make this fabulous recipe I found online (and the one I added above).

Vegan Berry Breakfast Bombs or as I like to call them, OMG YUM!!!

Oh, these are so fine we need more pictures!!!


Closer!!!!



Yes, these were amazing.  I have to give a HUGE shout out to Tess Masters at http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/ for this fabulous recipe.  Not only did she nail it with this fantastic recipe, she has a WHOLE site full of amazing vegan and raw food recipes to try.  For the above recipe please visit her site here http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/raw_vegan_berry_breakfast_bombs/ .  I followed the recipe precisely and it was perfect.  My kids would have liked the cashew cream to be sweeter as I only used the 1 tbsp. agave syrup recommended by the author, but my adult tastes said it was perfect.  I could easily eat this every morning for breakfast. One lucky client had this for lunch this week and everyone will get to try it next week.

I'm sorry that's all I have right now, but I promise not to be a stranger and will come back next week with a new blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment